We hear a lot about First Nations children when we talk about residential schools. I got to thinking, because there is always more than one side to every story, what did the white/European children think about residential schools? That’s where this project started, with a not so simple question, what were the opinions of white children about residential schools between 1880 and 1900? If the children had voiced any concerns, would residential schools have been re-thought sooner?
I started researching this question and didn't find much information on white children. I did find that they were very submissive. This means that the opinions of their parents (most likely their father) was deemed their opinion too! Most of the parents in 1880-1900 thought residential schools were smart. They were lead to believe (by the government) that the “Indians” would try and overrule them to start war, the government's “solution” was assimilation. This doesn’t guarantee that the children had contradicting thoughts, it also doesn’t mean that the parents were aware of the extensive abuse practiced in the schools either. Based off the limited information I was able to gather, I infer that if told about the abuse in residential schools children wouldn’t have agreed with residential schools. Though if they weren’t told about the abuse they might have thought the schools good for education! Obviously they were not.
No comments:
Post a Comment